Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Matthew 22:1-14 The Wedding feast



So Jesus is telling the story of the king, who through a wedding party for his son, and no one would show up. So the told the servants to go pick up anybody that they saw on the street and ask them to come. So they did. The king checked it out and saw one guy who wasn't properly dressed and sent him to "hell"(message version) and make sure he doesn't get back in. The punch line of the story is "many get invited but only a few make it."
So I am hearing a couple of things here:
1 Jesus was getting more and more pointed with his critisim of the Jewish religious heiarchy. This story and the preceding stories are in your face attacks on how the Jewish church was acting at the time.
2. Jesus was telling all... The kingdom is wide open. Everybody, I mean everybody is getting invited in. Whether I know you or not(and by the way I find it strange that the groom in the story has no friends).
3. Don't think just because you were invited you can show up any way you want. There are expectations that are going to dress right, (know how to act) and if you can't do this you will be asked to leave. ( do you think Jesus said "ship them to hell" the next sentence is and make sure he doesn't get back in? Seems heavy handed for the author to throw this in. I think he probably ment "kicked out". And I would think that that next line is the authors privledge also. I don't think you get banashed forever.)

So what do you think:
Was this political? Did Jesus feel like he had no friends? Do you get kicked out of heaven for showing up with tattos and dirty hats? If everybody is invited then what if you dress/act in a way that is socially unacceptable for the culture of the party? And who gets to determine this? I mean that if I get invited to a party and they are eating monkey brains....I'm out!

No comments: